Alumni Book Fair Acquisitions

The Alumni Book Fair of my university is a great place to find books. Even rare and signed books are available there. Boxes of books are available on the last day for only $12.00. It's held every two years - it used to be held every year. I've still got at least one book that I bought there at least twenty years ago! The one that I can find is Unquiet Souls by Angela Lambert. Just wonderful, although I am not sure that I agree with her about the pointlessness of the First World War.

These are mostly about royalty and history:

Elizabeth and Alexandra by Anthony Lambton. This is about the two Hesse sisters. One became the last Tsarina and the other married a Russian Duke. Both died tragic deaths. This will suit my Romanov obsession!

Victoria and Disraeli: The Making of a Romantic Partnership by Theo Aronson: I like Aronson's style and this will fit nicely into the Victorian Reading Challenge.


The Prince and I by Rosemarie Buschow
: Buschow was a nanny for a Saudi prince. Her story ended in tragedy when a royal princess was executed for adultery.

With Love by Theodora Fitzgibbon: Fitzgibbon lived a bohemian life in Paris just before the Second World War.

Nelson: The Hero and the Lover
by Harry Edgington: I am interested in any book about Lord Nelson.


Violets for the Emperor
by de Caraman-Chimay: This is a biography of Louise de Mercy-Argenteau in the Paris of the Second Empire.


A Kingdom by the Sea
by Nancy Phelan: I've read this before and found this story of a Sydney childhood enchanting.

The British Monarchy at Home by James Frere: An expose of the monarchy!

The Russian Revolution by Alan Moorehead
: An Australian historian's classic book about the Revolution.

Queen Victoria Was Amused
by Alan Hardy: Supposed to be very funny.

The Kemble Era by Linda Kelly: This is about great actors of the eighteenth century.

The Sweet and Twenties by Beverly Nichols: A book about the Roaring Twenties.

Discovering London
: Four books about finding historical London. They're quite small.

I bought a box so there are more, but I'm getting tired. I'll leave them for the next post!

Comments

Ingrid Mida said…
I love university book sales. I never leave empty-handed. Looks like you got some lovely books.
I wanted to let you know that I will be deleting my blog Blog of a Bookworm. Thank you for being a follower. I have decided to integrate my book reviews into my other blog, Fashion is my Muse (http://fashionismymuse.blogspot.com)
Best wishes and Happy Reading!

Popular Posts