C.S.Lewis and the Crisis of a Christian by Gregory Cootsona

Theo's Little Bot, C.S. Lewis aged 50, Wikipedia Commons.

I actually read this while my mother was dying only a few weeks ago, and it helped me a great deal.  Although I found reading about C.S. Lewis's crises of belief rather heavy-going, I found that reading about the crises that he faced in his life, especially the grief that he felt when his beloved wife passed away was easy to relate to, and I am not surprised that so many people have turned to the famous writer in times of trouble.

Some of Lewis's opinions about Christianity will seem out-dated to some readers.  For example, one of the reasons for his conversion was that human beings yearn for another world, and this convinced him that heaven does indeed exist. Lewis also thought that suffering is good for the soul, and this won't appeal to many people today, although I tend to agree with him.

If you would like an introduction to Cootsona's writing before reading this book, I highly recommend his wonderful post, "C.S. Lewis and the Crisis of Death".

Comments

Popular Posts