The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

 This is a brilliant first novel with a luminous and moving story. I enjoyed Death being the narrator, which is innovative, and I loved the heroine, however it is extremely miserable and harrowing. I doubt that I will read it again, but I will watch the film again.

Liesl, the main character, is such a charming, wise and sweet girl that she will stay with you long after you've read the book. She comes of age in this novel during the dark days of Germany in the war by stealing books with the help of her friend Rudy 'the boy with lemon-coloured hair', and helping her friend Max, a Jewish man who hides in the basement with the assistance of her kindly foster-parents. It's hard to put down, especially at the end.

I read this for Rose City Reader's The TBR 22 in '22 Challenge because I have had it for years, and it is a good choice for these troubled times.

Comments

Popular Posts