Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood

 I have read most of this hugely enjoyable series featuring the intrepid Phryne Fisher but I only finished the first one yesterday! It's been sitting on my bookshelf for years for some reason. It was great to go back to the beginning, and discover why Pryne came to Australia, how she engaged her maid Dot, and how she met taxi-drivers Bill and Cec. I will have to look for the first one in the TV series now!

Bored with her luxurious aristocratic life in England, Phyrne agrees to come to Australia on behalf of a couple who think that their daughter Lydia is being poisoned by her husband, anxious to get her money. Phryne manages to have a good time in this captivating romp through 1920s Melbourne, staying at the high-class Windsor, finding exquisite clothes, and driving a Hispano-Souza. She also catches the eye of a handsome young Russian. However, in the midst of all this, Phryne has work to do, entering Melbourne's seedy underworld in order to find an evil abortionist, and the truth behind the city's cocaine racket.

This made me excited about the new Phryne Fisher novel, but I think that I will go back, and read them all in order on Kindle now!

I read this for the Rose City Reader 23 in '23 Challenge.

Comments

Popular Posts