The Bishop’s Wife by Robert Nathan

 I always enjoy the film but the novel is quite depressing and Robert Nathan’s style features many short sentences which got on my nerves, although he has the ability to paint a scene beautifully in a few short paragraphs. Also, the idea of falling for an angel seems a bit blasphemous to me, and Michael’s inability to enjoy physical love is to be pitied, according to the novel. I know that I am perhaps being a bit puritan here!

Beautiful, golden-haired Julia, neglected by her husband, the bishop, gives all of her love to her daughter. The bishop focuses his attention on obtaining funds for his new and great cathedral, so when a handsome charming angel turns up to be his archdeacon and the ability to talk anyone into giving money, he is naturally very pleased. However, Julia, neglected by the bishop, starts to notice this young man and the couple’s marriage problems, ignored by both before, start to come to the surface. How will this be resolved?

I thought that this would be a happier, more Christmassy book than Christmas Holiday, but I am not sure that it was! I read this for Rose City Reader’s TBR 23 for’23 Challenge and Tarissa’s A Literary Christmas 2023 Challenge.

Happy New Year, everyone! As Charles Dickens wrote in The Chimes: “A new heart for a New Year.”



Comments

Popular Posts