Books Read in November 2010

Sovereign Ladies by Maureen Waller

This was an enjoyable summary of the reigns of six queens of England. Written in a lively manner, it is full of anecdotes. Some are quite amusing such as this one. When Disraeli lay dying he was asked whether Queen Victoria should be sent for. He replied that: "She'd only want to send a message to Albert!"

I didn't discover anything new in this book but I found the sections on Queen Mary of Orange and her sister, Queen Anne, especially interesting. My knowledge of these two queens is somewhat lacking so this book was helpful.

I would recommend this to lovers of English history and biography, especially royal history.

Comments

This sounds really good, I'm adding it to my to read shelf. Thanks for your review!

Popular Posts