Mum & Dad by Joanna Trollope

 This is an incisive look at family relationships, inter-generational conflicts and sibling rivalries. I almost always like Joanna Trollope's books, and this one was excellent, as always. However, don't read it if you are looking for a 'feel-good' novel, because it is quite miserable!

Gus and Monica have owned a winery in Spain for twenty-five years, and they also live there. Monica remains rather resentful about leaving England, and doing whatever the once rather feckless Gus wanted. Suddenly, Gus has a stroke, and her life changes in an instant. She calls on the children, Katie, Jake and Sebastian to help, but they each have their own problems...

The worst problem is that one of Katie's teenage daughters is cutting herself, and the family finds it difficult to cope. She finds it hard to help Monica, and needs to put her own family first. She and Sebastian, however, start to worry about the opportunist Jake. What is he up to? Also, how can Monica deal with her extremely grumpy and ill husband, and look after the vineyard herself?

There is certainly a lot going on in this novel! This was part of the appeal for me, because I enjoy novels about families. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys Joanna Trollope's novels, or similar stories.

This was free from the 'library' here, but it's been on the coffee table since last year, so I read it for Rose City Reader's '23 for 23 Reading Challenge.

Comments

Hels said…
Back in 2008, when starting this blog, I had to write out my favourite authors: Anthony Trollope, David Lodge, Anita Brookner, Bruce Chatwin, AS Byatt, Sinclair Lewis, John Irving, Meir Shalev, Bernice Rubens, Julian Barnes. But how did I forget Joanna Trollope????

Now I will add her name to my User Profile (if that can be updated) and then I will locate Mum & Dad. Thanks.

Popular Posts