The Resistance Girl by Mandy Robotham

 I have read several war novels set in France and Italy, but not many set in Norway, although I loved When Jays Fly to Barbmo when I was a teenager. It was interesting, and unusual to find a novel about the Resistance in Norway. I knew that I could count on Mandy Robotham to tell an exciting tale as well.

Rumi, the heroine, heartbroken over the death of her fiancee Magnus on the Shetland Bus, is not pleased when she has to rescue some Resistance workers on the snowy mountains above Bergen. However, when her father requests it, she feels that it's her duty. As she and Jens start helping each other with important missions, including spying on important Nazis, she starts wondering if her broken heart can heal, but her resiliance will be tested when Jens becomes involved with the Shetland Bus. This Resistance work consisted of helping the Norwegians by smuggling in arms and money, and helping people escape from the Nazis by taking them to Scotland.

The story also involves Rumi's friend Anya, who is staying in a mysterious hostel for pregnant girls. Anya has to work out what is really happening at this hostel, and why. Once she discovers the full horror of the Nazis' plan, can she be saved? 

Rumi and Jens are an engaging couple, and I also liked the secondary characters, including Rumi's father and her neighbour Marjit, a feisty lady, with whom Jens shares a connection. Marjit also helps with their Resistance work, and she's a lovely motherly figure.

I intend to read all of Mandy Robothan's books. She's become one of my favourite authors.

I read this for Rose City Reader's TBR 24 in '24 Challenge because I bought it last year.


Comments

Popular Posts