Survivor by Lesley Pearce

This sweeping saga published by Penguin Australia is exactly what I needed.  Easy to read with interesting characters, this story will keep you up late into the night!

The tale concerns young and headstrong Mariette who stupidly gets involved with a nasty man.  Her parents decide to send her away to England to get her away from the gossiping small community of beautiful Russell in New Zealand.  Mariette loves her new sophisticated life in London, but when the war arrives her life changes instantly.  Mariette faces great loss and danger as she puts her heart into helping the war effort.

Mariette's love affairs are also diverting.  She certainly has a lot of trouble separating the 'wheat from the chaff', and I like the way that she learns to stand up for herself.  Will she be able to return to her beloved homeland and live the life that she wants with her true love? Read this book and find out!

This is the first book I've read by Lesley Pearse and I can see why she's so beloved, although I found parts of the novel a bit grim.  I will certainly read more!

Comments

Popular Posts