Elizabeth Widville, Lady Grey Edward IV's Chief Mistress and the 'Pink Queen' by Dr John Ashdown-Hill


I am sorry to say that this book really annoyed me.  Although Dr John Ashdown-Hill was a distinguished historian, and very knowledgeable about the Woodvilles, he really disliked his subject, and his arguments failed to convince me. Even the pre-contract with Eleanor Talbot seems tenuous.
Much of this book is pure speculation, I thought.

Ashdown-Hill accuses the Queen of being involved in several murders and mysterious deaths without much evidence.He also includes fairly snide passages, for example, about her ordering meat during Lent and whether she was considered an 'Essex Girl'! I actually felt sorry for her, and anxious to read a nicer book about her in the end!

I bought the book because I didn't download it from NetGalley before the archive date.

Comments

Popular Posts