Under Occupation by Alan Furst. An interesting, but nebulous spy novel.

Paul Ricard wants to live quietly in Paris and continue to write his spy novels, even though the hated Nazis are in charge. Fate has other plans for him. A note given to him by a dying man, showing details of a military weapon, sets him on a path to working for the Resistance. He has to contact the Polish labourers anxious to help the Allies and go on a dangerous journey to Germany. This is just the start of his work for the Resistance, with the assistance of his partner Kasia. Luckily, he has the beautiful Leila, who actually comes from a spying family, to help him, but it doesn't prevent him getting into many dangerous situations until he has a final showdown...  

I didn't enjoy this as much as the other novels that I have read by Alan Furst. Although it was well-written, historically accurate, and the atmosphere was suitably grey and bleak, it all seemed a bit nebulous. Ricard and Kasia were very likeable, but the romance with Leila was not well-developed. She was a lovely character and I would have liked to read more about her. I also found parts of the novel a bit trashy. 

I always like Furst's novels, however, so I want to read more of them.

I read this for the  Rose City Reader 22 in '22 Challenge.

Comments

Popular Posts