Lone Star by Paullina Simons

I usually like Paullina Simons's books, but I found it too difficult to get into this one.  The main character, Chloe, is only 18 and lives in an American backwater, although she isn't poor.  She and her friends share a dream of going to Barcelona, and they decide to enter a writing competition to get the money to go.  Chloe has a few problems, however - her parents don't want her to go and her friend Hannah is having an affair with a much older married man, even though she has a boyfriend.

I think that the characters are just too young and silly, and the writing is a bit 'slangy'.  This got on my nerves.  I also found Chloe a bit selfish and she seemed to be intent on getting what she wanted at all costs.  However, maybe it's her youth that's my problem.

Lone Star by Paullina Simons
576 pages
William Morrow Paperbacks

Thank you to Net Galley for providing me with an advance copy of the book.

Comments

Popular Posts